UML, Google Code, Game Progress

I have been starting to work on the game and it is getting to the point where I need to really start to outline the class structure for all of the code. I downloaded a free copy of OpenModelSphere where I could do some UML work. I have never used the program before, but it only took about a half an hour to figure out how to do most of the things I need. Here is a preliminary diagram of the game structure. Click on it to see it at its full size.

UML Statechart Diagram

WIP of Game State Chart

I am debating on whether I should integrate the sound calls from inside other scripts, or have another section in the diagram which would handle everything. I don’t have all of this coded yet, but it should be a good start to how I want to break communication throughout the system. I am sure it will get more complicated and change when I start working on the areas more.

Project on Google Code

This game is going to be a lot bigger than the last one that I made, so I want to be sure that my server doesn’t crash for any reason. I set up a Google Code project and will update the files as I am working on it. I have never used SVN that much, so I am going to try and do my coding changes and commits to the google code repository. A few interesting things I found out about Google code:

  • you can track your visitors if you have Google Analytics (cool!)
  • You have up to 2 GBs of space.
  • You can’t rename your project once you create it

Here is a link to the project.

Anytime I make changes or add different things, I will probably just reference the link to make it easier.

Next

I have been working on the game itself. It is pretty raw and scattered everywhere, so I might work on it some more before I release anything yet. I will play around with SVN, so maybe it will be sooner than later depending on how that works. So far, I mostly have a placeholder model in there walking, running, jumping, and flying! I put in a camera transition when you change from ground controls to flying. That took me a little time to figure out.

He is also shooting out a bomb when you press the “throw bomb” button. The distance and power of it changes depending on how long you hold down the button. I think that is cool. :) Each level has a timer, so I put on a timer for the GUI that slowly counts up. That will be used as part of the scoring system.

My city/world environment needs some serious attention. I will probably spend a while building up the detail as well as adding the character to see everything together. I will have a close eye on the  FPS to make sure it doesn’t plummet at any time.

4 thoughts on “UML, Google Code, Game Progress

  1. Videochata.Net

    Hey, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues.

    When I look at your blog in Chrome, it looks fine
    but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, wonderful blog!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong> <pre lang="" line="" escaped="">